7/9/10

Book Blogger Hop: July 9-12, 2010


Crazy for Books hosts a Book Blog Hop every weekend. A recent "twist" has been added, where each weekend, bloggers answer a question about themselves or their blogs.

This week's question:  Tell us about some of your favorite authors and why they are your favorites!

I don't really have a favorite author. But one of my favorites has to be Elizabeth Peters aka Barbara Michaels. Under the Peters name, she writes a fabulous historical mystery series called Amelia Peabody. Set mostly in Egypt during the 1880s-1920s, the series features terrific characters,  Egyptology, adventure, and quite a lot of excellent scholarship. 

The time period chosen is the "golden age" of Egyptology, so we see frequent cameos from real life historical figures: including Howard Carter, Wallis Budge, and William Flinders Petrie. And the story is told mostly via the first person voice of Amelia Peabody Emerson--who is probably my favorite fictional character ever.

Not only is this a long running series--the audio version is perhaps even better than the print. Narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, the Amelia Peabody series IS my favorite audiobook series. The first book in the series is called Crocodile in the Sandbank.


Favorite Quotes:

"Abstinence, as I have often observed, has a deleterious effect on the disposition."


"A lady cannot be blamed if a master criminal takes a fancy to her."

"I do not scruple to employ mendacity and a fictitious appearance of female incompetence when the occasion demands it."




If you found me through the Hop, Welcome!! Please leave a comment below to let me know you've visited.

5 comments:

  1. Found you through the Hop. Will probably be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog you have! Love the header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from the book blogger hop to meet you. I like your title and header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog through the Hop! I'm a new follower, and I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    Diana @ Book of Secrets

    ReplyDelete