8/12/10

Cookbook Review: Maran Illustrated Bartending

I'm not a big drinker, but when I do drink it's always a cocktail (I can't stand beer or wine). Making them at home used to be intimidating. And cocktail books didn't seem to help, because you had to know the name of the drink you were looking for before you tried to find the recipe.

All of that changed when I bought the Maran Illustrated Bartending book. It's made for cocktail novices and just filled with pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. And organized by drink type AND main alcohol ingredient. Which makes browsing through it to find something you can make with ingredients you have on hand a breeze.

This has all of the classics. Martinis, Cosmos, Cape Cods...even shot recipes. And it has a primer at the beginning to explain different types of alcohols, bar equipment, and methods. Even garnishes.

I bought another copy for my best friend--who frequently hosts parties for her coworkers--and she swears by it now, too.

There's even a non-alcoholic section that has virgin versions of popular drinks.

This is the best beginning cocktail book I've ever seen. And the most useful. I highly recommend it for anyone who would like to start making cocktails at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment