9/14/11

Happy Holidays! Oh wait...

It seems like Christmas merchandise creeps onto the shelves earlier and earlier every year. I've spotted Christmas crafts in July, and the holiday decorations are popping up in big boxes as soon as the back to school promos come down.

And with the holiday decor comes the holiday romances. Many of them with publication dates of September and October. Before Halloween! And there are a ton of them coming out this year. (See pictures and links below the break.)

I personally love holiday romances, but they do seem kind of risky for authors. Their sales season is fairly short (although there are some, like me, who read them all year long.) And so many of them center around Christmas, which means they risk alienating those who celebrate other winter holidays like Hanukkah or Kwanza.


What do you think of holiday romances? Do you love them, hate them, or just feel kind of meh? And are you like me, and read them all year long or do you only read them close to the holidays?



September 20

September 27



October 1

October 4

October 18
 
October 25

3 comments:

  1. Even though I don't celebrate Xmas and am usually pretty annoyed by all the fuss, I actually like holiday themed romances. They always seem to have poignancy to them that tugs at my heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I bought almost every single Christmas book that Harlequin released last year, so clearly, I must like them! My favorites from last year were A Harlequin Christmas Carol (anthology) and A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh. For some reason I don't read holiday romances in the spring or summer. I definitely read them a lot in the cold weather. In Minnesota, that's about half the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JenM,

    That's interesting! I was wondering if people who didn't celebrate read them. There does seem to be a sweeter, almost old-fashioned feel to the holiday stories.

    @Hannah,

    I hear ya! Our "winter" lasted 9 months last year. It doesn't get as cold as Minnesota, but it snowed from Oct through June. I read them all year long, but will seek them out when it gets chilly or if I need to get myself in a holiday mood.

    ReplyDelete