11/16/11

TBR Challenge Review: Zero Dog War by Keith Melton

Format: ebook
Pub date: Feb 2011
Publisher: Samhain
FTC: Purchased myself
Why it was in the TBR: Bought it based on tons of positive buzz on release day, then never read it. Yeah, I suck.

These last few months have been crazy busy with RL obligations and events, so my reading tally isn't very good. It's pretty dismal, actually. The TBR Challenge is a good way to force my procrastinating self to finish a dang book, though. This month's theme, something other than romance, was also a good excuse to dig through my Kindle backlog and find a book I'd forgotten I had.



Of course, I'm working on over two weeks late with the post, but better late than never!

The Zero Dog War is a campy extravaganza of over the top humor, action, a smidge of romance, and more zombies than you can shake a stick at. Or a knife for that matter.

My husband became very annoyed by the chuckles and snorts of laughter coming from me as I read this in the car. I don't think a page went by without me making some sound of audible mirth.This kind of humor won't work for everyone. It's like those B movies on Syfy: intentionally so silly at times that it mocks itself and the readers. And I'm okay with that. If subtlety is your thing, this book is not for you.

A few choice quotes:


"'What if my destined mate walks past? She won't recognize me if I hide my wang.'"

"He didn't sparkle either. Only fairies sparkled, and mostly when you lit them on fire."

 "That was the problem with zombies. They sported a whole fuck you, I'm dead attitude I hated."

There were some pacing problems for me about 3/4 of the way through (although that could just be lingering reader inattention disorder that has messed up my reading groove for the last month). And at times, the similes seemed a little too plentiful. Everything was like something else. If you're not simile-sensitized, it's probably not noticeable.

Overall though, this was a hilarious, fun, and relatively fast read. I hope we get more of these characters in future books. They are a hoot.


My Grade: B+


The (very long!) blurb:

After accidentally blowing up both a client facility and a cushy city contract in the same day, pyromancer and mercenary captain Andrea Walker is scrambling to save her Zero Dogs. A team including (but not limited to) a sexually repressed succubus, a werewolf with a thing for health food, a sarcastic tank driver/aspiring romance novelist, a three-hundred-pound calico cat, and a massive demon who really loves to blow stuff up.

With the bankruptcy vultures circling, Homeland Security throws her a high-paying, short-term contract even the Zero Dogs can’t screw up: destroy a capitalist necromancer bent on dominating the gelatin industry with an all-zombie workforce. The catch? She has to take on Special Forces Captain Jake Sanders, a man who threatens both the existence of the team and Andrea’s deliberate avoidance of romantic entanglements.

As Andrea strains to hold her dysfunctional team together long enough to derail the corporate zombie apocalypse, the prospect of getting her heart run over by a tank tread is the least of her worries. The government never does anything without an ulterior motive. Jake could be the key to success…or just another bad day at the office for the Zeroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment