8/25/10

Review: All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins


  • Pub. Date: July 2010
  • Publisher: Harlequin
  • Format: Mass Market Paperback
  • ISBN-13: 9780373774586
While I enjoyed the conversational tone of the writing and the general levity found in the book, the characters just ruined this one for me. I couldn't plug in emotionally with either one of these characters. Or any of the secondary characters either.

Overly emotional characters generally bug me. And Callie seemed to border on bimbo-ish at various times throughout the novel. She is a drama queen. Her "emotional diarrhea" is constant. You know those people who are always in a state of crisis? Where everything that happens is "the end of the world as you know it?" Yeah. It's exhausting to interact with those people. And annoying. I don't think first person POV was a great choice here. Because undiluted Callie is grating.

Plus she's kind of emotionally pathetic and weak. Which I can't stand. At all. It's odd to mix that with a professional career woman who lives with her crotchety old grandfather. And her "relationship" with her boss is a bit creepy. Stalker girl creepy. Mark, her boss, is a grade-A ass, but she seems unable to cope in a way that feels normal to me.
And, I'll admit, having a scene where she's talking loudly on a cell phone in the DMV didn't endear her to me in the beginning, either. Cell phones may be everywhere, but talking on them in a crowded DMV line is rude. At least in my world.

Dr. Ian MacFarland is a bit of an ass as well. But at least he develops a little bit of personality and emotional depth later in the book. I'm left wondering just what the hell he finds interesting in Callie since I couldn't find one thing in her personality that wouldn't send me running, screaming the other way if I were a guy.

I've read about clueless main characters before. After all, I'm a big Stephanie Plum fan. This just  crossed too many lines for me. There was too little to redeem her. Too little to like. And while it was fun to read in a 'can't turn away from reality tv' kind of way, I didn't love it or connect with it  at all.

My Grade: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment