11/24/10

Hump Day Classic Movie: Star Wars

Some people watch Christmas movies on Thanksgiving. Some people watch football. Our family? We do a Star Wars marathon. And by Star Wars, I am, of course, referring to the original trilogy.

Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope) may not seem like a classic movie, but it was filmed in 1976 and released in 1977. Which is 33 years ago! Myself, I missed the Star Wars mania. I was a newborn in 1977. But Star Wars defined my husband's childhood. And I've seen all of the movies so many times now, that I can recite them by heart.

The number of Star Wars references found in popular culture, television, and movies is mind-boggling.  The first movie is even referenced in Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth, explaining how  world culture and religion is distilled into a pop culture phenomenon.

But the best part about Star Wars Episodes IV-VI is that they are just plain fun to watch. Adventure, romance, strange creatures, humor, and lots of space battles.

Are there any holiday movie traditions in your family?

1 comment:

  1. You can't really go wrong with Star Wars. :)We always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! If you haven't watched it, I recommend it. Hilarious! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete