9/21/11

TBR Challenge Review: No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Format: Hardcover (also available in mm paperback, ebook)
Pub Date: September 2010
Publisher: St. Martins Press
Length: 343 pages
FTC: Purchased myself

Once again, I'm squeaking in under the wire on the TBR Challenge post. This month's theme is series catchup...a book from a series you're behind in.  With the publication of Retribution, I was 2 books behind in the Dark-Hunter series. The last book I read, Bad Moon Rising, was so awful that I refused to buy another Kenyon book in hardcover. And since my library's romance selection sucks...well, it's been a year since No Mercy came out and I'm just now getting to it via a remaindered copy I picked up on clearance.

The good news? No Mercy doesn't suck nearly as hard as Bad Moon Rising did. It's a complete book (which BMR wasn't), the characters don't have a personality change mid-book (which BMR did), and the dialogue is far less sappy and more snarky. Which is something I had forgotten about the Dark Hunter series and really enjoyed while reading No Mercy.



The bad news is that this still isn't nearly as good as the early books in the series. There's so much backstory that I have forgotten. So much stuff that needs to be explained that it detracts from the main romance. And there are still some continuity errors or confusing passages that had me making a frowny face trying to figure out who was doing what when.

As for the romance aspect, it takes only a fraction of the page time. I did enjoy that there is no damsel in distress here. No wimpy heroine who needs protection. Sam is a badass Amazon turned Dark-Hunter. And Dev is a smoking hot bear. The romance itself felt very rushed, but that's to be expected from Kenyon's novels anymore.

Kenyon hasn't moved off my library/used book only list, but I'll definitely be moving the next books in the series up the TBR wishlist.

My grade: C+

The Blurb:

Live fast, fight hard and if you have to die then take as many of your enemies with you as you can. That is the Amazon credo and it was one Samia lived and died by. Now in contemporary New Orleans, the immortal Amazon warrior is about to learn that there’s a worse evil coming to slaughter mankind than she’s ever faced before.

Shapeshifter Dev Peltier has stood guard at the front of Sanctuary for almost two hundred years and in that time, he’s seen it all. Or so he thought. Now their enemies have discovered a new source of power- one that makes a mockery of anything faced to date.

The war is on and Dev and Sam are guarding ground zero. But in order to win, they will have to break the most cardinal of all rules and pray it doesn’t unravel the universe as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment