1/15/14

TBR Challenge Review: Taking Care of Business by Kathy Lyons

Format: mass market, ebook
Pub Date: November 2010
Publisher: Harlequin
Length: 215 pages
FTC: Received for free at an RT Convention
Posted as part of the TBR Challenge

 It starts with some anonymous groping in a crowded elevator...

I've never read a Jade Lee/Kathy Lyons book that I can recall. My issues with this one may be just rural, sheltered naivete. Having someone press an erection against me in a crowded elevator would creep me right out, but hey, maybe I'm in the minority?


There's no question that Lyons writes steamy scenes well, but from start to finish, the plot seemed both derivative and more than a little squicky. The characters are nicely done, but both very cliche. And then there was the dishonesty. 

Secret identities and lying about employment are popular in the romance genre for some reason. I've ranted about this before, but I have a hard time believing an HEA when the lies continue past a certain point in the story. James S. Finn aka Sam lies right up until the very end about his job and his identity. He "tries" to come clean, but those efforts are brushed aside by Julie. Frankly, not buying it.

The sex scenes were hot (except for the later bondage scenes I could have done without), and the dialogue was well done. But the emotional tone of the book didn't work for me, and the plot was uninspired.

My Grade: C-

The Blurb:

It begins with some seriously sexy action in the elevator. And it doesn't stop there. Julie Thompson is living out her naughtiest fantasies…at work. Who knew she'd find a secret fling right in her own office building?

Sam Finn can't believe his good fortune. The undercover multimillionaire has been watching Julie via the security monitors…and now he has her in his arms anytime he wants! And he wants her there…a lot!

In fact, he's quickly becoming addicted to the great sex they share. Unfortunately, he's just learned that Julie's company is failing and she'll be leaving for good in three weeks.
It'll take all of Sam's business savvy to save the situation. But he'll do it—even if it means making Julie an offer she can't possibly refuse….

2 comments:

  1. I have felt squicky about three different books by this author; all DNFs. I finally decided she's just not for me, although I understand that she's a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is super sweet. Very outgoing at conventions etc. Her books are definitely not for me, though.

      Delete