11/14/09

When Seducing a Duke by Kathryn Smith


It isn't often that an Avon romance surprises me. Kathryn Smith's newest historical certainly did, though.

Instead of somewhat standard Regency fare, When Seducing a Duke is more along the lines of historical erotica. Which could explain why I didn't like it very much.

There's nothing at all wrong with the writing, itself. The plot and characters are interesting and memorable. I do have a huge issue with the sex scenes, though. Sure, they're explicit. But my complaint is that they take up way too much of the book. The characters have very little interaction outside of various bedrooms--which isn't all that romantic to me.

I also had some serious issues with the hero of the story. He never did seem redeemed to me. Started and ended the story as a world class jerk.  And I had some problems believing that Rose would act as she does throughout the story. Her character seemed a bit inconsistent.

Maybe I'd have liked this one more if the quantity of sex hadn't caught me by surprise, but somehow I doubt it.

My grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment