7/20/10

Review: Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe (audiobook)

Publisher: Listening Library
Narrator:Victor Garber
Run Time: 6 hrs 48 min
Includes: Bunnicula, Howliday Inn, Celery Stalks at Midnight

Bunnicula is perhaps the favorite book from my childhood. I grew up reading about Chester, the bibliophile cat, and Harold, the dog and their adventures. I was delighted to find the first three Bunnicula books as an audio bundle on Audible.

The narrator does a terrific job differentiating between characters. There are also quite a lot of dialogue tags as the reading level is about 2nd or 3rd grade.

My sons and I recently listened to this collection on a long road trip. The youngest, age 4, ignored it completely. The oldest, age 7, adored it.  It is broken into 3 books, which makes it easier for younger listeners to stay involved. And having the same narrator do all 3 stories means there is continuity for the kids as well.

These are thriller/mysteries, but I don’t think they are too scary for most children. The first book, Bunnicula, involves a suspected vampire bunny. And the only ones harmed are vegetables.  The second story has a bit more peril--with animals disappearing from a pet boarding facility.

I found these books just as charming, funny, and entertaining as I remembered. These are definitely classics, and I’m so happy they are available in audio format.

My Grade: A-


Audible.com

No comments:

Post a Comment