12/28/10

Quickie Review: When Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer

Format: ebook (also available in mass market paperback)
Pub Date: November 2010
Publisher: St. Martin's
FTC: Purchased myself

I saw several recommendations for this book on Twitter. Lots of comparisons to early Julia Quinn.

Well...I didn't see that. I saw an attempt to be like early JQ. But this author forgot that it wasn't the situations that made those early books so terrific. It was the characters. And Kramer's characters are the most shallow, irritating, immature characters I've read in a long, long time.

Molly is a self involved, immature twit. Sure, she's romantic. As if that somehow excuses her utter lack of common sense. And Harry is a dishonorable jackass without that rakish quality that allows me to hope that he's putting on a show for others. He's a jerk, through and through.

I found the whole contest for "Most Delectable Companion" silly. In a bad way. And I felt that the ending was so predictable I could have skipped it entirely.

Fans of light hearted romance might like this one, but only if they don't mind shallow, immature characters.

My Grade: C-

The Blurb:

Dashing Lord Harry Traemore is perfectly content to live out his days in the pursuit of pleasure. But when he's named by the Prince regent as one of society's 'Impossible bachelors', Harry is drafted into a ribald romantic wager. The rules of engagement are scandalously simple: the bachelor whose mistress wins the title of 'Most Delectable Companion' gets to remain unmarried. Harry is utterly unconcerned about his status...until his latest lightskirt abandons him. Enter Lady Molly Fairbanks. Harry's childhood friend - actually, 'foe' is more like it - is the most unlikely companion of all. She's attractive but hot-headed, and in no mood for games. Besides, what could the self-indulgent Harry possibly know about what makes a woman delectable? It's time for Molly to teach him a lesson once and for all...but will it lead to happily ever after?

2 comments:

  1. Great review! This is one weird book....I have either seen excellent reviews, or people complaining about it like you wouldn't believe. I'm not sure if I am going to try it or not....I have a feeling I might become pretty irritated with it! (In fact, I have been having trouble w/ Julia Quinn's latest books, too....I miss the old emotional intensity of her Bridgerton books).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Penelope,

    Yeah, I haven't loved a JQ book since Hyacinth's story.

    This one is odd. It has elements that should be funny, but aren't. At least to me. Part of the problem is that the prologue shows both characters in their teens. Acting like teens. And they never really seem to grow up throughout the course of the novel.

    ReplyDelete