1/24/11

Review: Holiday Sparks by Shannon Stacey

Format: ebook
Publisher: Carina Press
Pub Date: December 6, 2010
FTC: Purchased myself

The Blurb:
House-sitting for her parents seemed like a good idea, until the microwave blew up and the lights went out.
Now Chloe Burke thinks upgrading the electrical system of her childhood home while they are away would make the perfect Christmas gift. Fortunately, there’s an electrician in town who can get the job done by the holidays.
Scott Quinn has wanted to get his hands on the Burkes’ wiring for almost as long as he’s wanted to get his hands on their daughter. Chloe didn’t notice Scott back in high school, but she’s noticing him now, and soon they’re indulging in a little festive fun: no strings, no expectations. After all, Chloe plans to get out of this goldfish bowl of a town and back to her real life in Boston by New Year’s.
But Chloe and Scott discover they enjoy each other’s company just as much out of bed. Could their holiday fling turn out to be the real thing?

I read this holiday novella a few weeks ago, but never got around to reviewing it. I loved this story while reading it, but a few weeks later? Small details are bugging me.

Normally, I love the small town, successful girl returns home trope. And I did this time, too. But this just seemed to lack the sizzle and wit of some of Shannon Stacey's earlier works. I know it's a novella, and thus limited in length/scope, but I would have liked more banter. I'm shallow that way.

The fact that the heroine works from home negates most (not all) of the potential conflict about the big city girl and the home town boy. Clearly, if they choose to make it work, they can without her having to give up her career or him having to relocate his  business. I actually would have preferred to see more small town gossip or meddling. Something to remind Chloe about the drawbacks of small town life in a negative way. Which would have made her decision a little more complicated and angsty.

[On an unrelated side note, this cover bugs me. I normally love Carina's covers. They are some of the best ebook covers out there (and way better than most of Harlequin's print covers). But the position of this guy's hand seems off. ]

Still, it's a sweet little holiday novella.

My Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment