3/5/09

Danger in a Red Dress by Christina Dodd


I'm not sure what happened, but Christina Dodd's newest left me wanting to pitch the book out a convenient window. Or at least take a scalding hot shower.

I normally love her books. They are usually suspenseful and have interesting characters. I usually end with a smile on my face. Danger in a Red Dress left me feeling like I wanted to vomit.

The ick factor was a major deterrent to enjoyment. I just could not get past the fact that the male lead character was a paid voyeur--err security expert. Watching the female lead (Hannah) through video surveillance, listening to her phone calls, watching her "take care of things" in her bed. It completely and totally grossed me out. It was, in fact, too eerily similar to the movie Sliver with Sharon Stone.

Added to that is the fact that I truly did not like the personalities of either character. At all. The ONLY character in the entire book that I liked was Gabriel's second in command--Daniel. And the too convenient inclusion of the Prescott families at the end just rang hollow with me. It felt more like a cutesy marketing ploy rather than a well-planned conclusion to two series.

Perhaps there really is a woman who would forgive being spied on, lied to about a man's identity TWICE, accused of murder etc., but she is not someone I could ever relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment