4/9/09

Beyond Heaving Bosoms: the Smart Bitches Guide to Romance Novels


This is a book on my wish list. I haven't ordered it yet, but I know I'll break down and do so soon.

Written by the duo behind Smart Bitches, Trashy Books, this looks to be an entirely new take on the Romance genre.

Now, at first glance, the blog may seem to be nothing more than a couple of young kids spouting foul language. But a second look will reveal something startling: these ladies review Romance novels the same way English lit scholars do. They don't pull any punches pointing out when something is just plain stupid, but neither do they denigrate the genre as a whole. Instead, they point out themes, characters, and underlying issues that are present in ALL great literature. And they erase the stigma attached to this booming business.

Now, this is not to say that they don't act a little immature every now and again. But that is part of the fun. Understanding and pointing out the value of what so many women read while not taking themselves or their goal too seriously.

And if the early previews of Beyond Heaving Bosoms: the Smart Bitches Guide to Romance novels are any indication, I will be finding myself laughing out loud through most of it while sagely nodding my agreement to their conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment